The Goats of Lahinch
The original goats at Lahinch were owned by an old Lahinch caddie, Tommy Walsh, who lived close to the old 3rd tee. Tommy in the early years of the 20th century caddied for the great John Ball of Hoylake (Open Champion 1890) when he came to Lahinch in the early 1900’s. The goats were a great guide to the weather at Lahinch. If they were seen hovering around the Club House the weather prospects were not good. But once the goats made their way out to the outer regions of the sand hills, then weather prospects were good and the day was sure to be fine.
In the 1960’s when the Club Barometer broke down, Secretary at the time, Brud Slattery, put a sign up on the barometer “See Goats”. In 1956 on the suggestion of Dr. Patrick Hillery the Club decided on an emblem incorporating the thistle, the shamrock and the goat.
The goats continue to roam across the links without a care in the world and are a source of amusement to members and visitors.