Dough Castle (1306) provides a wonderful backdrop to 7th hole on the Castle Course. Originally founded by the O’Connor’s in 1306, its old name “Dumhach Ui Chonchuir” would translate as O’Connor’s Sandbank and it was an O’Connor stronghold until they were ousted by the O’Brien’s in the days of Queen Elizabeth 1.
It is referred to in 1422 but none of the present ruin dates from that period. By 1584 the castle was held by Sir Donal O’Brien’s family. In 1654 Colonel Stubber, a Cromwellian Officer, saved the castle from the “Commissioners for overthrowing and demolishing castles in Connaught and Clare”. In 1675 it was described as a tall battlemented tower with a two-storey dwelling house attached to one side.
The present ruin is the result of poor foundations (mainly sand) rather than the ravages of war. The building collapsed at various times, mainly during the nineteenth century. Only one wall now remains of Dough Castle. The sand-hills are supposed to be the haunt of Donn Dumhach, the Fairy King, and the sand-hill Crughaneer near the bridge is also supposed to be haunted.