Padraig Slattery’s Captain’s Prize was held over the August bank holiday weekend with Robert Kennedy coming out on top following a layoff with Kieran McDermott.
23 South of Ireland Champions travelled to Lahinch to celebrate the Club’s 125th anniversary. Paul McGinley (1991 Champion) spoke to a large gathering of junior members prior to Dinner in the clubhouse.
Despite challenging weather conditions, Ireland’s leading amateur golfers treated members and visitors to five days of wonderful golf on the Old Course with James Sugrue (Mallow GC) being crowned our 2017 Champion.
Up to the early 1930’s locals were allowed have donkeys on the links for grazing purposes. That practice stopped in the early 1930’s but sheep were subsequently allowed on to the course for grazing in the winter months.
In the 1950’s a fee of £50 was paid for grazing sheep from 1 October to 31 March. At the Annual General Meeting of the Club in 1956 the practice of allowing sheep on to the course ceased as a result of a motion proposed by Dr. M.J. Roberts and seconded by John Burke.
The goats were a constant presence on the course from the early 1950’s. They were owned by Tommy Walsh (a former employee of the West Clare Railway for over 40 years) and his wife the powerful and commanding Mary Nagle from Bartra just outside Lahinch. At night time Tommy would take the goats home but release them on to the links early the next morning. The goats were benign animals and on a fine day always made their way down to the outer regions of the links. On a wet day they took sanctuary close to the Club House.
On the 22 April 1962, the minutes record Gregory Young suggesting Lahinch try and procure a better quality crest with a more modern design. On 9 September 1962, Ronnie Deakin proposed that the good offices of Dr. Patrick MacClancy (“Call me Patrick not Paddy”) be utilised to get in touch with the Chief Herald with a view to registering a new Club crest. P MacClancy got in touch with Chief Herald and a Committee meeting held on 6 October 1963 approved a new design for the crest – the Shamrock, the thistle, the goat and the word Lahinch Golf Club would be arranged in a pattern that would suit a crest and be worn on a blazer as well as being depicted on the Club Flag. Tommy Walsh died in 1972 while his wife, Mary, passed away in Ennistymon in the early 1980’s.
On Sunday 4 June 2017, Captains Jacqueline Joyce and Padraig Slattery unveiled a bronze ‘Rampant Goat’ statue as part of the Clubs 125 Anniversary celebrations. The renowned Sculptor, Seamus Connolly from Kilbaha was commissioned to create our bronze friend and we are confident that his image will be seen in all corners of the world over the coming years.
Back in 1971, renowned broadcaster, Cathal O’Shannon, and an RTE camera crew took a trip to Lahinch to investigate a curious weather phenomenon. To watch the RTE Archive video, click here
45 years later reporter, Colm Flynn, retraced Cathal’s steps on the links at Lahinch to see if the goats are continuing to forecast the weather. To watch the RTE video for the Today Show, click here
Lahinch Golf Club Ladies raise €14,500 for Breast Cancer Research
The ladies at Lahinch Golf Club braved the wind and rain recently and raised an incredible €14,500 at their final ‘Play in Pink’ fundraising day for national charity, Breast Cancer Research based at NUIG.
On Good Friday, Lahinch Golf Club formally launched its 125th Anniversary celebrations. The newly elected Officers departed the golf club in a coach and four and proceeded to the Post Office, original site of Sharry’s Hotel, where the Club was founded on Good Friday 15th April 1892. Captains’ Padraig Slattery and Jacqueline Joyce unveiled a bronze plaque commemorating the occasion before returning to the Club for their Captains’ Drive-in. Dressed in period costumes and using hickory shafted golf clubs and gutta percha (gutty) golf balls dating back to the 1860s, both Captains’ teed it up on traditional sand tees in front of hundreds of members and their families.
Click on images below to view in Lightbox mode, if you prefer.
On Easter Sunday evening, Captains’ Padraig Slattery and Jacqueline Joyce launched the updated History Book ‘125 Years of Golf at Lahinch’. The book, co-written by Charlie Mulqueen (one of Ireland’s foremost golf correspondents) and Fr Enda Glynn (Club Historian), traces the history of the Club dating back to its foundation in 1892 to the present day and includes wonderful images of the golf course and detailed Club Statistics. The Book is on sale at the Club Golf Shop.